Friday, August 10, 2012

Free Motion Quilting - FMQ

 I have always sent my projects out to a longarm quilter or done some smalls with straight line quilting or traditional hand quilting.

As you know from WIP Wednesdays, I have these projects and flimsies waiting.....and waiting for a finish ;) I really would like to quilt some of them myself. So, I made some quilt sandwiches approx 12x12in with an older large floral print on one side and muslin on the other. Then I just started! Like doodling, only on fabric vs. my desk calendar at work ;)
Not as difficult as I thought!  Here is are some pics of my practice sandwiches:



Not the best, kind of jerky in the designs and my tension was off a bit, but not nearly as bad as I thought it was going to turn out....I actually like the loop to loop and stippling in the bottom photo.
And I think the hanging hearts and star have promise..... 

So....how do I learn more on this subject?
 I bought a book on sale at JoAnns - "One Line At A Time 24 Geometric Machine-Quilting Designs Made Easy" by Charlotte Warr Anderson. I liked this book because it features geometric patterns that build on each other from the begining of straight lines and grids. It include patterns like Clam Shell and Six Pointed Stars which add curves to the straight lines. Can't wait to try these! Then I signed up for a Craftsy class on "Machine Quilting: Free Motion and More" with Wendy Butler Berns. They have many quilting classes to choose from and often run them on sale. I found this one sale for $19.99. I will let you know how I like it. I already do the BOM with Amy Gibson from Stitchery Dickory Dock (she has AMH giveaway going on) and enjoy it and the video format.

 On my list to do is look into Leah and her blog The Free Motion Quilting Project, check it out, pretty amazing!

Looks like more practice in the future! Hopefully the next pics will be a bit more refined.
And hopefully those flimsies will be transformed into true Quilts!
Hope you are having a quilty kind of week :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the comment! I love hearing from you!