Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Weddings and Scrappy Log Cabin QAL Update 2





Hi Everyone!  It has been a busy beginning to 2015!

Like many of you in the US, we have had ice, bitter cold and snow, making the daily trek to work a bit of a challenge. I was fishtailing down the highway last week, thank goodness it was controllable and no accident occurred! This week has been a bit warmer, and much easier.

My youngest son got engaged at Christmas and we have been busy planning an August wedding. So much fun! I am blessed that his lovely fiance' has included me in the planning. 

They will be married in a small wedding at the beautiful Castle Farms in Charlevoix Michigan. Just a stones throw from Lake Michigan.



And my oldest son has been busy preparing for a move to Switzerland to join his beautiful new wife next week. They were married in a beautiful, private ceremony at the Grand Canyon in late November. They are so happy and isn't that what we all wish for? What a wonderful opportunity to live abroad. I am looking forward to a trip to Switzerland next year! And of course the trips they will make home to the U.S. also.


Life is good,  as parents this is what we do, we teach our children and give them wings to fly and when they leave home hopefully they will soar..... I am very blessed - mine are soaring!  

So we are now officially into week 3 of the Scrappy Log Cabin Quilt Along. How are you doing? I have seen many beautiful, scrappy blocks and quilts popping up on Instagram- IG!  If you have a chance be sure and ck out the hashtag #scrappylogcabinqal!  Kim over @Javadiva hosted last week and @Elnorac is hosting this week so be sure and check out her feed for the sweet prizes she is giving away. Winner to be drawn on 1/24/15, Saturday. I will be hosting next week 1/25/15!


Here is my next block almost ready to go, just need to finish picking out my Low Volume strips.


Pin It


Many have asked me how I am making my quilt blocks - here is the low down.

My blocks are planned to be 14.5 inches unfinished. I am following the tutorial by Ashley from Film In the Fridge. If you have checked out her great quilt and tutorial, you will notice she leaves the measurements up to you. She chose to have much more white space in her quilt than I am. And by leaving the measurements up to the reader you get a very scrappy and irregular corner. You can have alot of white/low volume space or more color and wider corners.  



Pin It

Many of you would like to cut prior and then chain piece. I understand that. So in an effort to assist with that I am working on a tutorial that give you two sets of measurements. One will give a regular, repeatable look. The other will give a more irregular look (this is the one I am using). I will be posting those next week when I am host for the Scrappy Log Cabin QAL. 

Happy Stitching!
Ginny 

PLEASE RESPECT MY BLOG

© 2014 GLFisher You are welcome to use any Fishcreek Studio tutorial for personal use. You are not given permission to use my pictures or my words without giving me credit and linking back to the original post. Sometimes my pictures have my family in them and they are never intended for public use. 



2 comments:

  1. I love your blocks. This is going to be beautiful when done. I would like to give this style of block a try and I prefer the style you are doing with a bit less low volume and more color. Maybe today I'll get a chance to give one a whirl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations to your sons, the newly married and the newly engaged. How fun to know you'll be going to Switzerland. I have a quilts friend there if you need a connection. I'd love to join you on the log cabin blocks but I think I've got too many WiPs as it is. 😉

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comment! I love hearing from you!