Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Great Granny!

Hello again!

Remember I had this pic of all the block cut and ready to piece?


Here is what I used to cut those 2 1/2 in squares so quickly.  It is the June Taylor Shape Cut, I bought it at JoAnn's at one of their 50% off coupon sales. I took a class one time where we used it to cut our blocks. It has been awhile since I have used it and I forgot how much easier it can make cutting.

It works great!  Much quicker, and results in a much more consistent size square (or rectangle, or strip) then what I can cut with my ruler and rotary cutter alone. The little white pieces on the Right side are just my marks to remember where to cut because it is very easy to put your rotary cutter blade into the wrong slot! Ooops! Not that I have ever done that  ;0


So here are my strips, joined with squares to make a block... I like this one, it reminds me of Cherry LimeAid :)


 I used one Layer cake of Summer House and one Moda white jelly roll  (looking for that layer cake is what started the whole episode of tearing everything out of the closet Yikes!  I was being good , no very good,  ok how about responsible and using from my stash and not buying anything new!!) . The QAL shows only 9 blocks which will make a wall hanging or table topper. I have enough squares to make several more blocks than that. I was thinking maybe 12 or 15 for a lap size quilt. And I think I will still have squares left over. I am just cutting the jelly for the first nine blocks and then as I need for additional blocks. And here are the completed blocks so far.....







I am really happy with the bright saturated colors! I was worried about all the florals and the effect they would have but it is working out well. Amazing how different they can look in small pieces vs. that big 10in square! It is quite fun to piece, much like a simple puzzle, and they can be quite addictive as you get such fast results! 

Hope you are having a great sewing week! What are you working on?


Ginny


Linking to:                

8 comments:

  1. Your great granny blocks are looking great! Love the bright and cheery colours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The grannys are really beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look great! I really like the one with the blue checked fabric. It's my favorite. I've never heard of that tool before, but I'll look for it next time I go to Joanns.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous! I made just 3 blocks for a table runner for a friend so I could say I've done some granny blocks, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your great grannies are lovely, and they all look so different!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I need to look into that ruler! Your grannies look wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your grannies look great! Your colors are bright and cheerful. I've never heard of that ruler before but sounds like something I should look into!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your grannies are really lovely!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comment! I love hearing from you!