Sunday, March 17, 2013

Bag LOVE!

Hi everyone! I am so excited to show you my new tote bag! Just finished!
I mean, you know, how can you go on a sewing retreat without a new bag... you gotta have something to tote all your stuff around in, right?



So I thought I better get busy, since Sew South is this upcoming week. I pulled out some of "my precious" Amy Butler LOVE! fabric and started looking for a pattern that was not terribly time intensive. I have read about the Jane Market Tote before as the pattern has been around awhile and thought I would give it a try. Well let me tell you- the pattern is very straightforward and the bag goes together very well!

I used Pellon SF 101 interfacing to give it more shape and firmness. This is the first time I had ever used it and I am really impressed! I see this as being a must have now. It takes regular weight quilting fabric and when makes it more the weight and feel of home dec fabric. I used in on both the lining and the outside bag. I also used it in the handles. I think you can see what a nice shape it gives the tote.



The finished tote ended up measuring 13 inches tall by 11 inches wide by 8 inches front to back. It could hold a nice amount of grocery's - which was the original intent of the pattern. Now I may use it for that......but right now I am seeing a few FQ's and who know's what else!

Here is a peak inside-- that fabric is just beautiful! I am so happy with the way it turned out! 

What would I do different next time? I might lengthen the handles so that I could put it over my shoulder. The  handles are cut at 21 inches but by the time they are sewn on the bag you really only have approx 16 inches and that is not enough to fit over my shoulder. But in all fairness it is a "Tote" intended originally to carry grocery's home so the handles are appropriate size for that!  Also I would add a pocket on the inside. The tote does have two pockets on the outside, one on each side, but I just like a pocket on the inside also.  Actually I had planned to do that but late last night as I was finishing the lining, I must have got a bit oxygen deprived and I got so excited about getting the bag together that I totally forgot!!    Until this morning ;)  But I still love it!  If I was making it more fancy I would put a zipper pocket in, but really didn't find it necessary here.

You can purchase the pattern here. It's $6.00. And I must say, I see more of these in my future - they will make great gifts!

Speaking of future, stay tuned, there is a whole lot happening here (and a few other places ;) So stop back tomorrow for some exciting news and a chance to get in on some goodies!

7 comments:

  1. It looks so great Ginny! I have this pattern, but I haven't made it "correctly" yet. I made mine with so many alterations it isn't really a market tote any more! LOL You can see it here if you're interested http://doodledodesigns.blogspot.com/2012/10/new-tote.html. I love your fabric choices. Perfect for this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute! I love the idea of some cuter reusable grocery bags!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tote, Ginny and love the fabrics you've used here. Might want to make one myself! Thanks for the link. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a gorgeous tote! Fabulous fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is an awesome bag, Ginny! The fabrics are just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this! I just bought the pattern and I'm going to buy some of the interfacing you used- I love the sturdiness it has. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comment! I love hearing from you!